Air Fryer Mexican Pizza is your favorite Tex-Mex treat made easy! Crispy and cheesy with black bean filling, it’s a delicious vegetarian appetizer, midday snack, or light meal.
If you’re like me and are devastated about the news of Taco Bell discontinuing Mexican pizza from their menu, fret no more, my friend, because now you can easily make this Tex-Mex favorite right in your kitchen.
This copycat version not only tastes so much better than from the restaurant, but it’s also more budget-friendly and super easy to make in the air fryer. Your DIY pizza is ready in 15 minutes, which is less time than a drive-thru run.
I opted to make this recipe vegetarian using a simple filling of seasoned black beans and shredded cheese, but feel free to build it up to your liking. Check out my suggestion list below and find your choice combination!
Mexican pizza ingredients
- taco ground beef
- chopped grilled or crockpot shredded chicken
- pulled pork
- red enchilada sauce
- sliced black olives
- refried pinto or black beans
- diced tomatoes or pico de gallo
- roasted corn kernels
- crumbled queso fresco
- chopped green onions
- shredded lettuce
- sour cream
I prefer the buttery and crispiness of flour tortillas, but feel free to swap with corn tortilla for a gluten-free version. Medium-sized tortillas about 8 inches in diameter are perfect for individual pizzas, while the large-sized tortillas are great for sharing.
The restaurant version is traditionally made with seasoned ground beef. Follow the easy recipe below and use it as filling along with the beans and cheese.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1/2 pound ground beef. Cook, breaking apart with the back of the spoon, for about 4 to 6 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Drain excess fat. Add 1 packet (1.0 ounces) taco seasoning and 3/4 cup water. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover, and simmer for about 5 minutes or until meat is cooked through and liquid is mostly reduced.
How to serve
- Serve this tortilla pizza as an appetizer, midday snack, or light meal.
- Garnish with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, green onion onions, sour cream, and hot sauce to kick up flavor!
- It’s best enjoyed freshly and does not refrigerate well as it tends to lose crispiness and turn soggy over time.
Air Fryer Mexican Pizza
- cooking spray
- 8 medium flour tortillas
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 package (1.0 ounces) taco seasoning
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- hot sauce
- Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees. Spray the air fryer trays with cooking spray.
- Place a tortilla on the fryer tray, top with a couple tablespoons of mashed black beans.
- Top with a heaping tablespoon of salsa, a layer of shredded cheese, a sprinkling of taco seasoning.
- Place another tortilla on top.
- Cook in the air fryer for 2 to 4 minutes or until slightly toasty.
- Carefully remove the tortilla pizza from the air fryer and top with additional cheese. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Transfer the pizza on a serving platter and garnish with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, chopped green onions, sour cream, hot sauce, and other toppings of choice.
- Cut into fourths and serve while warm.