Instant Pot Lasagna Soup with all the comfort flavors of your favorite pasta dish in soup form. Quick and easy to make in the pressure cooker for busy weeknights.
The weather is beginning to cool down here in Southern California and I am excited to finally get on the soup train! It’s not yet cold enough to bust out the wool sweaters and mittens but any slight chill in the air is good enough reason for me to put my Instant Pot to work.
My slow cooker chicken tortilla soup is hearty, tasty, and the ultimate comfort food in a bowl but let’s face it, we don’t always have the
patience time to wait 7 hours for a meal. This pressure cooker lasagna soup is just as hearty and tasty and it’s ready in 20 minutes!
If you love lasagna but dislike the amount of work involved to put it together, this lasagna soup delivers all the flavors you crave in less time it would take to parboil the noodles. Other than quickly browning the meat, it’s is a dump-and-push recipe you’ll want for busy weeknights.
And the best part is, there’s minimal clean up as it cooks in one pot!
- I use Italian sausage for the extra depth of flavor but ground beef, turkey, or chicken are also great options.
- Feel free to sneak in more vegetables such as mushrooms or zucchini and saute along with the sweet peppers. If you’d like to add fresh baby spinach, toss the leaves in after the natural release as the residual heat is enough to wilt them.
- I like to use chicken broth for extra depth of flavor, but you can also use water, beef broth, or vegetable broth.
- Break the lasagna sheets smaller than your desired final size as they will expand during cooking.
- The tomatoes are an important component in the quality of this soup. I like to use San Marzano peeled whole tomatoes which I roughly chop before adding to the pot.
- Don’t skip the sugar! The teaspoon or so added will help balance the acidity of the tomatoes.
What to serve
- We like to enjoy this lasagna soup with a healthy sprinkling of Parmesan cheese but to mimic the taste of the classic baked pasta, add a dollop of ricotta cheese as well as shredded mozzarella if you like.
- Lasagna soup makes a great starter as well as a satisfying meal in itself. Serve it with a tossed salad and crusty French loaves for an easy weeknight dinner the whole family will love. Enjoy!
How to store
- Cool leftovers completely before transferring to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Reheat in a saucepan over medium-low heat until 165 F.
- For make-ahead meals, I suggest storing or freezing the soup without the pasta and add it to cook when the soup is reheated.
Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 sweet peppers, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 6 ounces (about 6 sheets) uncooked lasagna
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 5 cups chicken broth or water
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Parmesan cheese
- ricotta cheese
- mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Using the SAUTE feature on NORMAL, heat the olive oil.
- Add the Italian sausage, breaking apart with the back of the spoon. Cook, stirring regularly until it loses its pink and begins to render fat.
- Add onions, sweet peppers, and garlic and cook until softened.
- Drain the meat of any excess grease.
- Break the lasagna into small pieces and place them in the pot on top of the meat.
- Add chopped tomatoes (including packing juice), tomato paste, and chicken broth. Gently push down the noodles to submerge in the liquid.
- Add Italian seasoning, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Close the lid of the Instant Pot, making sure the valve is on the SEALING position. Press PRESSURE COOK and cook on HIGH pressure for 4 minutes.
- When the 4 minutes is up, allow natural release for 5 minutes, and then do QUICK release.
- Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper if needed.
- Stir the soup to distribute and ladle in serving bowls. Top with Parmesan cheese, ricotta cheese, and mozzarella cheese, if desired.