Instant Pot Mashed Cauliflower delivers creamy and buttery flavors with fewer carbs! It’s quick and easy to make in the pressure cooker and is a delicious keto-approved side dish!
If you love mashed potatoes but dislike piling on the carbs, this delectable Instant Pot Mashed Cauliflower recipe is for you! You’ll enjoy the same creamy consistency and buttery flavor but without the guilt.
Whether you’re on a low-carb diet or just want a lighter alternative to the usual rice, potatoes, or pasta, this pressure cooker cauliflower mash needs to be on your dinner rotation. It is a nutrient-packed, low calorie, naturally gluten-free, and keto-approved side dish you’ll feel good serving the whole family!
Cauliflower vs Potatoes
- Cauliflower is easier to prepare with no peeling involved! Already washed and prepared florets are also available at most major supermarkets.
- It cooks faster and is usually ready to mash in under 10 minutes.
- As it has a lower starch content, there’s no risk of the dish turning gummy even with over mashing or over whipping.
- It has a mildly sweet and nutty taste that only needs a few simple ingredients to be extra delicious!
- This cruciferous vegetable is lower in calories and carbohydrates but more nutrient-dense. One cup serving of cauliflower clocks in at 25 calories and 5 grams carbohydrates compare to 113 calories and 25 grams of carbohydrates for potatoes.
Pressure cooker cauliflower mash
- Although you can pressure cook the whole cauliflower, cutting it into florets make mashing easier after.
- Pour one cup of water in the Instant Pot insert and place a trivet or a steamer basket.
- Arrange the florets on the trivet and pressure cook on HIGH for 4 minutes. The vegetable should be fall-apart tender.
- Do a QUICK RELEASE and then partially open the lid. Let stand for about 2 to 3 minutes for the cauliflower to reabsorb back any excess moisture which may otherwise result into a watery texture.
- Remove the cauliflower from the Instant Pot and transfer to a large bowl. Process to desired consistency using a potato masher or immersion blender.
Adding seasonings and flavoring
Cauliflower mash doesn’t need a long list of ingredients to be delicious. But although the standard butter, salt, and pepper are enough to turn it into a mouthwatering dish, you can definitely kick things up with a few additions such as the suggestions below.
- Replace the butter with sour cream or plain Greek yogurt.
- Pressure cook a couple of peeled garlic cloves with the cauliflower and mash together for a garlicky version.
- Use vegetable or chicken broth instead of water for more flavor.
- Toss in some Parmesan or shredded cheese of choice.
- Sprinkle with fresh herbs or spices such as chopped green onions, chives, parsley, thyme, curry powder or chili powder
- Top with chopped crisp bacon or thick, flavorful gravy!
How to serve
- Serve this easy Instant Pot mashed cauliflower as a side dish for lunch or dinner. It will go well with pressure cooker pork chops with mushroom gravy or air fryer teriyaki chicken!
- To store leftovers, allow to cool completely before transferring into an airtight container. Refrigerate for three days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Reheat in the microwave at 1 to 2-minute intervals until warmed through.
Instant Pot Mashed Cauliflower
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add 1 cup of water in the Instant Pot and place a trivet or steamer basket.
- Arrange cauliflower florets on the trivet.
- Close the lid and set the valve to the SEALING position. Pressure cook on HIGH pressure for 4 minutes.
- Once cooking time is finished, do a QUICK RELEASE. Carefully open the lid and leave partially open.
- Let the cauliflower stand for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer into a large bowl and mash with a potato masher or an immersion blender.
- Add butter, cheese, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.