Instant Pot Parmesan Rice and Peas is fluffy, cheesy, and makes a great dinner side dish. Quick and easy to make in the pressure cooker, it’s perfect for busy weeknights.
If you’re in search of a side dish that’s quick and easy to make yet satisfying and full of flavor, look no further than this pressure cooker Basmati rice. It’s ready in minutes in the Instant Pot and needs only six ingredients to be super delicious.
It’s a hearty and tasty dish you’ll feel good serving the whole family. They’ll surely love the mouthwatering combination of fragrant rice, Parmesan cheese, and colorful peas with their favorite chicken or steak dinner.
- Basmati rice-you can substitute long-grain Jasmine rice and use 1:1 rice and liquid ratio
- Water- replace with low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth for extra depth of flavor
- Frozen sweet peas-swap with fresh asparagus for variety
- Salt and pepper-season with salt sparingly and keep in mind that the Parmesan cheese will also add saltiness to the dish. Omit the salt if using regular sodium broth.
- Parmesan cheese-Pecorino Romano, Asiago, or Manchego are also good options
- The brand used in the recipe is Mahatma and the package directions call for 1 3/4 cup liquid for every 1 cup of rice. We adjusted the amount of liquid to 1 1/2 cups as the Instant Pot’s sealing ability allows less water evaporation. If you like a firmer or more al dente texture, decrease to 1 1/4 cups.
- We also did NOT rinse the rice as this brand of long grains tend to release less starch during cooking. If you prefer to rinse the rice, rinse under cold, running water until water runs clear and drain well using a colander or fine-mesh sieve as the extra moisture might affect the consistency of the rice.
- Season with salt sparingly and keep in mind that the Parmesan cheese will also add saltiness to the dish.
- Use the Manual/Pressure Cooker setting. The Instant Pot’s RICE program is only designed for parboiled rice only.
- If doubling the recipe, add 1 or 2 minutes to the cooking time. Do not fill the inner pot past the halfway mark to allow room for the rice to expand.
- For a more uniform texture, do a 10-minute NATURAL release for the cooked rice to stand covered and undisturbed.
- After fluffing, transfer the cooked rice to a serving platter or turn off the KEEP WARM function as the heat may continue to cook the rice and make it stick to the bottom.
How to serve
- Serve this easy Instant Pot Parmesan Rice and Peas for lunch or dinner by itself or as a side dish.
- Garnish with additional shredded parmesan when serving or stir in a pat of butter or ghee along with the cheese for extra flavor.
- Allow leftovers to cool completely and transfer into an airtight container or resealable bag. Refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
- Thaw frozen rice in the refrigerator overnight and warm in the microwave at 1 to 2-minute intervals until fully heated.
- Toss cooled rice with diced cucumbers and bell peppers, pitted olives, halved cherry tomatoes, and Italian dressing and enjoy as a cold salad.
Instant Pot Parmesan Rice and Peas
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 3 cups water or broth
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In the Instant Pot, place the rice and green peas.
- Add 3 cups of water, salt, and pepper.
- Close the lid and set the valve to the SEALING position. Pressure cook on HIGH pressure for 4 minutes.
- When cooking time is finished, do a 10-minute NATURAL RELEASE. Then turn the steam floating valve on the lid to the VENTING position to release the remaining pressure manually. Carefully open lid.
- With a fork, fluff the rice and stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Transfer to serving platter or bowl and garnish with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.