Slow Cooker Beef Queso Dip is easy to make with simple pantry ingredients and in the crockpot. Meaty, cheesy, and with the right amount of heat, it’s the ultimate party food!
With so many wonderful slow cooker recipes around, I had a hard time narrowing down what to feature first on the blog. I guess the best plan is to start with my top ten favorite things to make and slow cooker queso dip definitely tops the list.
If you’re looking for the ultimate party food, you’re in luck! Meaty, cheesy, and with just the right amount of heat, this ground beef and cheese dip is a guaranteed crowd pleaser. It’s amazing for chip dipping yet equally scrumptious ladled on french fries or baked potatoes.
How to Make Velveeta Cheese Dip
This queso dip is short on prep but big on flavors. Not only is it incredibly tasty, but it’s also simple to make with simple pantry ingredients and minimum prep.
The only hands-on part of the recipe is cooking the ground beef in a pan which takes but a few minutes. After the meat is nicely browned and seasoned, it’s thrown into the crockpot along with the cubed Velveeta cheese, diced green chilies, and diced jalapenos for 1 to 2 hours to heat and melt into the creamiest, chunkiest and tastiest dip ever!
If you can’t wait for the slow cooker to do its magic (I hear you!), the cheese dip can also be made on the stovetop. Brown the ground beef per recipe below, add the cubed Velveeta and diced peppers. Cook on medium heat, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and the mixture is completely heated.
Tips on Slow Cooker Cooker Beef Queso Dip
- The taco seasoning adds an extra dimension of flavor; you can use homemade or a 1.25-ounce packet per pound of ground beef.
- Want variety? Switch ground beef with bulk spicy pork sausage or chorizo and skip the taco seasoning.
- If you prefer not to use processed cheese (Velveeta), swap with 8 ounces cream cheese and 3 cups of freshly-shredded cheddar, Colby jack or combination of both. Please note that the texture and consistency might not be as smooth and velvety.
- I used diced green chilies and diced jalapenos but feel free to substitute with two 10-ounce each Rotel or your favorite brand of salsa.
- If you want to speed up the process, you can cook the dip on the stovetop and transfer to the crockpot to keep warm for the party.
What to Serve with Cheese Dip
This beefed-up cheese dip is seriously addicting, expect guests to huddle around the crockpot!
Keeping it in the slow cooker ensures it’s nice and warm throughout the party but to prevent double-dipping make sure to set out small serving cups on the counter along with various dippers such corn chips, crudites, and crackers.
Take your dip party to the next level by setting out different topping choices guests can dress up their dip with.
- crisp bacon crumbles
- pico de gallo (fresh tomato salsa)
- diced avocados
- canned black beans
- sliced olives
- sour cream
- chopped cilantro or green onions
- diced red bell peppers
- chopped red onions
- sliced pickled jalapenos
- shredded cheese
Can you Freeze Queso Dip
Not only can you easily double the recipe to feed a large crowd, but it’s also a great make-ahead appetizer. Allow to cool completely, transfer into airtight containers, and keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up 2 months. Just thaw and reheat when ready to serve.
Slow Cooker Beef Queso Dip
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 packet (1.25 ounces) taco seasoning
- 2/3 cup water
- 32 ounces processed American cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 cans (7 ounces each) diced green chilies
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced jalapenos
- In a wide pan over medium heat, add ground beef and cook, breaking apart with the back of a spoon, until no longer pink and begins to release fat.
- Add onions and garlic. Continue to cook until softened and beef is lightly browned. Drain excess grease.
- Add taco seasoning and water. Bring to a simmer and continue to cook for about 10 minutes or until beef is cooked and liquid is mostly reduced.
- Transfer taco meat to a 2-qt slow cooker. Add cubed cheese, diced green chilies, and diced jalapenos.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for about 1 to 2 hours or on LOW for about 3 to 4 hours.
- Stir to distribute. To serve, keep in the crockpot at the warm setting.