Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup with shredded chicken, black beans, corn, and crispy tortilla strips in a flavorful broth. It’s hearty, tasty, and made easy in the crockpot!
One of the best things to make in a slow cooker is, of course, soups, and if there’s one you should try asap is this slow cooker chicken tortilla soup recipe! It’s so simple to put together and comes loaded with chicken, beans, corn, crisp tortilla strips, and all the bold flavors you love.
This chicken soup makes a great starter but is hearty enough to serve as the main course. We love it with a side of cornbread and tossed green salad for satisfying lunch or dinner meal.
Step by step instructions
This crockpot tortilla soup is a dump-and-forget kind of recipe you’d want in your back pocket for busy weeknights. It comes together in 4 simple steps with hardly any effort.
- Season boneless, chicken breast with salt and pepper to taste. Arrange in a single layer in the slow cooker.
- Add black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, diced green chilies, tomato paste, chili powder, and oregano. Add chicken stock and stir to combine.
- Cover with lid and cook on HIGH for about 4 to 5 hours or on LOW for about 6 to 7 hours.
- Remove chicken and coarsely shred. Return to pot and continue to cook for another 3 to 5 minutes or until meat is heated through.
How to make crispy tortilla strips
The most work this soup involves is making the fried tortilla strips to use for topping! By following the tips below, you can have that done easily, too!
- For the best crisp, use day-old corn tortillas. If you only have fresh ones, leave them out uncovered overnight or arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake in a 200 F oven for about 8 to 10 minutes to dry out.
- Not all oils are made equal. Make sure to sure oils with a high smoke point such as canola, safflower, or grapeseed.
- Maintain the oil temperature at 350 F to 375 F. Too hot, and the chips will brown too quickly, too low and they’ll absorb more grease.
- As they will continue to brown in the residual heat, remove the chips from the oil a shade lighter. They’ll be a little flexible in the middle but will crisp up as they cool.
- If you want to skip the frying, brush the corn tortillas with oil, cut into wedges, and arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in a 350 F oven for about 8 to 12 minutes, rotating the pan at the 8-minute mark, until crispy and dry.
- Make this soup a total breeze and skip the frying. You can find crispy tortilla strips in small packages at the salad section of major grocery stores, and they’re relatively inexpensive. You can also use crushed corn chips or Doritos if you prefer.
This slow cooker chicken tortilla soup is delicious as is, but you can make it extra special with additional toppings. Try diced avocados, a dollop of sour cream, shredded cheese, or all of the above for another layer of flavor and texture.
Want it more creamy? Swap heavy cream for 1 cup of the broth and add it during the last 10 to 15 minutes of cook time.
How to serve
- This crockpot tortilla soup is delicious as a meal starter as well as a meal in itself. Serve with a green salad and tortas (Mexican sandwich) or cheese quesadillas for a hearty lunch or dinner.
- For leftovers, allow to cool completely and store in airtight containers or resealable bags. Refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- To reheat, thaw completely and heat in a saucepan to 165 F.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) black beans, drained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernel, thawed
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced green chilies
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups chicken stock
- canola oil
- 4 tortillas, cut into thin strips
- Season boneless chicken breast with salt and pepper to taste. Arrange in a single layer in 4-qt slow cooker.
- Add onions, garlic, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, diced green chilies, tomato paste, chili powder, and oregano.
- Add chicken stock and stir to combine.
- Cover with lid and cook on HIGH for about 4 to 5 hours or on LOW for about 6 to 7 hours until chicken is cooked and easily shreds.
- Remove chicken and coarsely shred with two forks. Return to pot and continue to cook for another 3 to 5 minutes or until meat is heated through. Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Meanwhile, in a pan over medium heat, heat about 1-inch of oil. Add tortilla strips and stir to prevent from sticking. Fry for about 1 to 2 minutes or until crisp and golden. With a slotted spoon, remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls and top with fried tortilla strips. Serve hot.