Instant Pot Caramel Popcorn made in the pressure cooker in just a few minutes. It’s the perfect munchies for movie night, snack time, or anytime you need a sweet treat.
Okay, you might think I’m officially off my rocker here, but have you ever used your pressure cooker to pop popcorn? It’s so easy to do and works like a charm!
In under three minutes, you can have perfectly popped popcorn without the long list of additives that come in the microwaveable packets. Plus, it costs less per serving!
And what’s even better is you can remove the popcorn from the Instant Pot when it’s done popping and then make a quick caramel sauce right in the same pot. Caramel corn is such a weakness of mine, and now that I know how to make it in my kitchen in under 15 minutes, I am a VERY happy woman.
Ooey gooey finger-licking Instant Pot Caramel Popcorn might just be your newfound obsession for movie night, snack time, or really, anytime sweet treat. It’s easy to make in the Instant Pot using a few simple ingredients you probably already have on hand!
- Melt the coconut oil in the Instant Pot on SAUTE mode. Once it heats up, drop the popcorn kernels in and put the lid on.
- Cook the kernels for about 2 to 3 minutes until they are popped and press CANCEL to turn off the pot.
- Take the popcorn out, season with salt, and set aside while you make the caramel sauce.
- Turn the SAUTE mode back on. Add the butter. When melted, add the vanilla, cream, and brown sugar. Stir continuously until it browns and thickens.
- Press CANCEL to turn off the Instant Pot. Add the popcorn back into the pot and toss gently until fully coated with the caramel sauce.
- Remove the caramel popcorn from the Instant Pot and arrange in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Allow to cool completely and enjoy!
- To quickly remove unpopped kernels, place popcorn in a single layer on a cooling rack. The kernels will fall through the gaps while the larger popcorn will stay on the rack.
- Do not substitute margarine for butter as it is has a higher water content which might affect taste and texture.
- Take it the next level by adding salted peanuts, roasted cashews, or walnuts for extra yum!
How to store
- To maintain fresh flavor and crispness, transfer the caramel corn to an airtight container or resealable bag. Make sure to squeeze the air out of the bag when sealing it shut.
- Store at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and humidity. It should keep for up to 5 days.
- Do NOT refrigerate, freeze, or microwave lest they lose their taste and texture.
Looking for more amazing treats you can make in the pressure cooker? Try this Instant Pot Carrot Cake topped with cream cheese frosting and walnuts that is sure to hit the sweet spot!
Instant Pot Caramel Popcorn
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or canola oil)
- 1/2 cup unpopped corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- PRESS the SAUTE mode button on the Instant Pot. When HOT appears on the display, add coconut oil. Heat the oil until melted and drop a few corn kernels in the pot.
- Once the kernels pop the pot is heated enough to add the remaining kernels. Stir well to coat evenly with the coconut oil and then cover with a lid.
- Once kernels start popping, continue to cook for about 2 to 3 minutes and then turn off the SAUTE function. Keep the lid on until popping stops.
- Remove the cooked popcorn from the Instant Pot, toss with salt, and set aside.
- Turn the SAUTE function back on. Add the butter and heat until melted.
- Add the vanilla, heavy cream, and brown sugar. Cook, stirring constantly until the sugar has dissolved and is a thick, caramel consistency.
- Press the CANCEL button to turn off the pot and add the popcorn back in. Toss gently with a spatula until evenly distributed.
- Remove the carame-coated popcorn and spread out on a parchment-lined baking sheet to cool completely.